Introductory Portrait

Good day, sir or madam:

My name is Evan William Gretok, and I am a student of computer engineering technology at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. This digital portfolio is a collection of coursework for you to sample and peruse, primarily showcasing professional writing samples for various courses. My discipline requires highly refined skills in written and verbal communication, and I hope you will find my work from various courses in the past several years to be proof of my growing skill-set. From formal laboratory reports, to research papers, to design proposals, to thorough evaluations; the professional writing requirement for engineering is diverse and extensive.

I am deeply passionate about programming, electronics, and computer hardware. I have completed coursework in advanced mathematics, physics, and engineering principles, and programming. I have professional experience in information technology, user services, web application development, software testing, and databases. I am currently applying my knowledge and enthusiasm to data and information structures, digital electronics, advanced programming concepts, and embedded systems. I identify as a “maker,” and am deeply interested in the application of technology in solutions to everyday problems. I am detail-oriented, focusing not only on the solution, but on the presentation and refinement of that solution. I am an imaginative, hands-on forward thinker looking to continue learning and growing, wherever my career takes me.

I consider myself a student who is looking for not just a tested learning, but a knowledge and experience that is applied to reach a concrete goal and make a difference in people’s lives. I take my academic and professional pursuits very seriously, but I also acknowledge that my degree as well as any position I will serve in is not for me. I look not to boost my own prestige, but to contribute positively to a body of professionals who seek to do their best work for the sake of the customer, the public, and the world. I am committed to upholding the ethics, responsibilities, and integrity demanded by my field to the highest degree. I aim to act for the sake of others, using my experience and abilities to better my community and the lives of the people in it.

If you have any questions about myself or the material listed here, please do not hesitate to contact me using the information in my resume. Thank you for your time and consideration. Have a remarkably pleasant day.

Evan William Gretok

Student of Computer Engineering Technology

University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown

Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Finer Aspects of Evaluation and Translating Technicality

In preparation for the second assigned essay, we have worked with evaluation and review in terms of establishing a specific category, defining criteria, and associating the positive or negative relationship between category and criteria.  We have practiced through in class exercises, evaluating the pilot episode of Lost as well as one another’s blogs.  We have also read several professional level reviews of The Walking Dead and Nirvana’s album Nevermind.

There were some important points I took away from both of these evaluations.  For one, audience consideration in review is tremendously important.  The audience may need to be met more than halfway.  In the case of the Walking Dead review, without ever seeing the show, I was still able to follow the review reasonably well.  A good review may also require informational components to bring the audience up to speed.  Another aspect, more particular to the Nevermind "review," was the connection the author attempted to build with the reader.  More than a quarter of the material was on a personal note, highlighting some of the author’s history and his personal connection to the music.  This helped in establishing a sort of credibility for the author, especially considering his review was not solely of the album, but on how it fits into the larger picture of changing industry, times, and tastes.

My review is to be a bit more technical in nature.  I am aiming to evaluate the Kaveri architecture used in a recent mid-range iteration of microprocessors by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD).  I have chosen this for my evaluation as it is closely tied to my discipline, my personal interests, and my potential dream to work with designing and fabricating microprocessor technologies.  I understand it is a highly technical and interest-specific review, and I hope to use it to hone my skills in simplifying the technical for a larger audience, which I see as an incredibly important skill for a computer engineer.  This being the case, I hope it will be understood and accepted that my review may be a bit more consumer focused.

It is obvious that my review may need quite a bit of informational content.  After some initial thought, I would say that my specific category could be considered a budget workstation-enthusiast mid-range quad core desktop microprocessor.  It is a mouthful, but quite specific, which I suppose is the aim.  As discussed in our Lost evaluation, it is important that I focus on relevant criteria for the specific category, not necessarily for this particular chip.  The primary criteria at first consideration would be performance benchmarks, power dissipation, and cost.  Considering the diversity in this market, it will be difficult to establish direct competitive cost and performance relations.  In order to adequately ascertain competitiveness, I will need to research competing chips at similar benchmarks and prices and compare at two different levels, which should be interesting.  I hope to include some detailed analysis and comparison between Intel and AMD technologies in-depth, but I partially feel that such detail may be less relevant for this audience.  There is a time and a place to geek out, but this may not be it.