Introductory Portrait

Good day, sir or madam:

My name is Evan William Gretok, and I am a student of computer engineering technology at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. This digital portfolio is a collection of coursework for you to sample and peruse, primarily showcasing professional writing samples for various courses. My discipline requires highly refined skills in written and verbal communication, and I hope you will find my work from various courses in the past several years to be proof of my growing skill-set. From formal laboratory reports, to research papers, to design proposals, to thorough evaluations; the professional writing requirement for engineering is diverse and extensive.

I am deeply passionate about programming, electronics, and computer hardware. I have completed coursework in advanced mathematics, physics, and engineering principles, and programming. I have professional experience in information technology, user services, web application development, software testing, and databases. I am currently applying my knowledge and enthusiasm to data and information structures, digital electronics, advanced programming concepts, and embedded systems. I identify as a “maker,” and am deeply interested in the application of technology in solutions to everyday problems. I am detail-oriented, focusing not only on the solution, but on the presentation and refinement of that solution. I am an imaginative, hands-on forward thinker looking to continue learning and growing, wherever my career takes me.

I consider myself a student who is looking for not just a tested learning, but a knowledge and experience that is applied to reach a concrete goal and make a difference in people’s lives. I take my academic and professional pursuits very seriously, but I also acknowledge that my degree as well as any position I will serve in is not for me. I look not to boost my own prestige, but to contribute positively to a body of professionals who seek to do their best work for the sake of the customer, the public, and the world. I am committed to upholding the ethics, responsibilities, and integrity demanded by my field to the highest degree. I aim to act for the sake of others, using my experience and abilities to better my community and the lives of the people in it.

If you have any questions about myself or the material listed here, please do not hesitate to contact me using the information in my resume. Thank you for your time and consideration. Have a remarkably pleasant day.

Evan William Gretok

Student of Computer Engineering Technology

University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown

Friday, September 4, 2015

Relevance of Professional Writing

Writing is important.  Clear communication of thoughts and ideas is one of the most imperative skills to master.  At least that is what I have always been told.  When I was preparing to graduate from high school, I looked forward to putting aspects of grammar, style, and literary exploration behind me.  I saw myself in an exciting new world where I would take classes in only the topics in which I was most interested and passionate.  I could not have been more wrong.

However, I cannot say that I am disappointed.  I have learned much more in the past few years about how significant matters of communication really are.  My profession recognizes clear speaking and writing as a fundamental cornerstone.  In the rapid advancement of technology, new ideas and methods must communicated even more quickly.  Standards must be developed, shared, and altered as change continues to shape the landscape.  Professional writing can take the form of technical reports, individual memorandums, user manuals, requests and proposals for new hardware and software components, or marketing and media releases to entice the buyers of the latest and greatest.  The skills and experience necessary for success in all of these subfields will almost never be found in one individual, further increasing the need for proficiency in communication between them.

It is clear to me that professional writing is a critical skill, but exactly how I will use it remains to be fully known.  A computer engineering technology degree (they tell me) opens one to many possibilities.  I may find myself in a small business working on an information technology management team.  Here I would require professional writing skills to address corporate supervisors and effectively communicate the needs of the local staff, while also drafting logs, help tickets, work orders, and the like.  At the other end of the spectrum, I may find myself in an academic laboratory writing hundred page reports on the latest research, techniques, and discoveries.  Not to mention…*shudder*…grant applications.  It is highly likely that programming will be a large part of what I do wherever I end up, which I suppose is a professional writing of its own.

I find myself struggling with the formal rigors of my discipline.  Many of my professors have encouraged the embrace of more creative processes in design and problem solving.  Those in many branches of my field consider their work to be similar to a fine art.  But how much passion can be injected into a formal and professionally written technical report?  Can hundreds of lines of machine code lend a poetic beauty in form while only ones and zeros in function?  Does the rise of digital narratives signify a creative relationship between man and machine?  In my discipline, to know what it means to write professionally, these are a few of the more interesting questions I have to answer.