Introductory Portrait

Good day, sir or madam:

My name is Evan William Gretok, and I am a student of computer engineering technology at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. This digital portfolio is a collection of coursework for you to sample and peruse, primarily showcasing professional writing samples for various courses. My discipline requires highly refined skills in written and verbal communication, and I hope you will find my work from various courses in the past several years to be proof of my growing skill-set. From formal laboratory reports, to research papers, to design proposals, to thorough evaluations; the professional writing requirement for engineering is diverse and extensive.

I am deeply passionate about programming, electronics, and computer hardware. I have completed coursework in advanced mathematics, physics, and engineering principles, and programming. I have professional experience in information technology, user services, web application development, software testing, and databases. I am currently applying my knowledge and enthusiasm to data and information structures, digital electronics, advanced programming concepts, and embedded systems. I identify as a “maker,” and am deeply interested in the application of technology in solutions to everyday problems. I am detail-oriented, focusing not only on the solution, but on the presentation and refinement of that solution. I am an imaginative, hands-on forward thinker looking to continue learning and growing, wherever my career takes me.

I consider myself a student who is looking for not just a tested learning, but a knowledge and experience that is applied to reach a concrete goal and make a difference in people’s lives. I take my academic and professional pursuits very seriously, but I also acknowledge that my degree as well as any position I will serve in is not for me. I look not to boost my own prestige, but to contribute positively to a body of professionals who seek to do their best work for the sake of the customer, the public, and the world. I am committed to upholding the ethics, responsibilities, and integrity demanded by my field to the highest degree. I aim to act for the sake of others, using my experience and abilities to better my community and the lives of the people in it.

If you have any questions about myself or the material listed here, please do not hesitate to contact me using the information in my resume. Thank you for your time and consideration. Have a remarkably pleasant day.

Evan William Gretok

Student of Computer Engineering Technology

University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown

Saturday, September 19, 2015

When? Just About All the Time.

Last week’s action plan assignment was very helpful in determining the forms of professional writing in my field.  It served a fruitful purpose of giving me a basis for developing the next assignments on evaluations, press releases, and proposals.  But how are these used in computer engineering?  I am aware of the prevalence of technical reports, users' manuals, circuit descriptions, and the like, but when will someone in my position need to write an evaluation, press release, or proposal?  My conclusion: in nearly every stage of the design or production process.  We discussed the separate connotations of these three modes of writing in class, but I would propose that they are, in fact, very closely related and may be applied in unison.

When a project is being defined and refined by a team of experts, there will be many different propositions.  Whether this project is the architecture of a microprocessor logic unit or the layout of the cooling systems in a server farm, many large and small decisions must be made.  Official documents will need to convey the process the team used to reach their conclusions (evaluation), the plan of action for communication with the customer (proposal), and a release of relevant information to the public (press release).

When a company is releasing a new product, each of these methods is employed.  Whether that product be a two cent integrated circuit, a thousand dollar laptop, or a modular industrial fabrication system worth nearly a million dollars, the same considerations must be made.  Teams of individuals, internal and external to the developer, will examine the product in question to authenticate its performance and adherence to standards.  Proposals may be sent to close affiliates of the developer, encouraging adoption of the product.  Press releases will be composed for the market of the product to seed interest, enthusiasm, and, ultimately, sales.

In the likely event of a malfunction or catastrophic failure of a product, all of these approaches are still necessary.  Evaluation is a critical stage after a failure, used to determine the cause and depth of the issue.  This stage of the process may take longer than any other, and it must be the most closely documented as the other two will reference it recurrently.  Press releases will be formed to quell outcry and assure resolution.  Proposals for such resolution will be rapidly produced and acted upon.


It is important to note that a failure of this magnitude is often caused by a failure in previous evaluation, proposal, or release.  Evaluation may have been completed in error.  Proposals may leave out a critical component due to eleventh hour adjustments or funding cuts.  Releases may communicate inaccurate information to the public, causing a firestorm that must be snuffed out quickly.  This further emphasizes the need for close attention to professional writing of all types in every stage of the process.