Introductory Portrait

Good day, sir or madam:

My name is Evan William Gretok, and I am a student of computer engineering technology at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. This digital portfolio is a collection of coursework for you to sample and peruse, primarily showcasing professional writing samples for various courses. My discipline requires highly refined skills in written and verbal communication, and I hope you will find my work from various courses in the past several years to be proof of my growing skill-set. From formal laboratory reports, to research papers, to design proposals, to thorough evaluations; the professional writing requirement for engineering is diverse and extensive.

I am deeply passionate about programming, electronics, and computer hardware. I have completed coursework in advanced mathematics, physics, and engineering principles, and programming. I have professional experience in information technology, user services, web application development, software testing, and databases. I am currently applying my knowledge and enthusiasm to data and information structures, digital electronics, advanced programming concepts, and embedded systems. I identify as a “maker,” and am deeply interested in the application of technology in solutions to everyday problems. I am detail-oriented, focusing not only on the solution, but on the presentation and refinement of that solution. I am an imaginative, hands-on forward thinker looking to continue learning and growing, wherever my career takes me.

I consider myself a student who is looking for not just a tested learning, but a knowledge and experience that is applied to reach a concrete goal and make a difference in people’s lives. I take my academic and professional pursuits very seriously, but I also acknowledge that my degree as well as any position I will serve in is not for me. I look not to boost my own prestige, but to contribute positively to a body of professionals who seek to do their best work for the sake of the customer, the public, and the world. I am committed to upholding the ethics, responsibilities, and integrity demanded by my field to the highest degree. I aim to act for the sake of others, using my experience and abilities to better my community and the lives of the people in it.

If you have any questions about myself or the material listed here, please do not hesitate to contact me using the information in my resume. Thank you for your time and consideration. Have a remarkably pleasant day.

Evan William Gretok

Student of Computer Engineering Technology

University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Building a Professional Portrait

Perhaps the most characteristic aspects of the internet are its permanence and accessibility.  However, in consideration of our final digital portfolio assignment, these aspects are very unnerving.  The likelihood of a future employer seeing the work that I am putting together, the text that I am typing right now, is intimidating.  Nevertheless, this is the purpose of the assignment.  Looking back at some of the work I am revising for inclusion, though, I cannot help but worry a bit about how I will feel about these blog posts a few more terms down the road.  The nature of my process: write, let it sit, read it, throw it away, write a new one.

This class has aided my understanding of professional writing, and other courses have honed my abilities at constructing and formatting reports and papers.  There is undoubtedly much revision work to be done.  I have found numerous documents that I consider worthy inclusions.  Some are recent, such as a digital electronics laboratory report from only a few weeks ago or an engineering design proposal from my last term.  Some are from a bit further back, such as a physics laboratory report and Matlab programming project from last year.  In regards to a revision from this class, I look forward to delving deeper into my AMD Kaveri microprocessor architecture evaluation.  It may not be my “most annoying” assignment, but it is the one most relevant to my ideal career, and the one I am most passionate about.  All of these works have something to say about different sectors of my discipline, from application of hard science and mathematics to more specific implementations and applications of particular techniques or programming languages.

I am a bit torn on the value of my inclusions in conformity to the class requirements.  Much of my engineering professional writing has consisted of quick, concise writing, with tables and graphs doing most of the talking.  Raw data and ten page appendices of sketches, tables, and photographs do not seem to contribute much in the form of human language, but I suppose I can say they are worth thousands of words.  Formatting and presentation will hopefully play a large part in doing what language cannot.  As I have discussed before, there is the matter of code.  Is it language?  I believe so.  Is it professional writing?  For me, yes.  It is not general enough, though, to be a cornerstone of the material I will showcase here.  Ultimately, I do not know how well-received this portfolio will be in a professional writing course, but it is a thorough and diverse representation of my discipline.  I look forward to continuing to explore, alter, and compose it into a reasonably clear portrait of both passions and qualifications.

This digital portfolio will include a cover letter and  four “cornerstone” works that highlight my professional writing skill.  The values and contributions of each of these works will be highlighted on their respective pages.  To continue to make this a valuable professional resource, I intend to include several programming projects.  I will post the source code and find a way to incorporate an embedded view or video of the output.  I also hope to include a separate section highlighting personal projects and side experience, including LED lighting projects, reverse engineering and modifications, perhaps even some 3D modelling and design.  I could also incorporate a more personal about me page that highlights hobbies and relevant pages.  Maybe I’m being a bit too thorough…