Introductory Portrait

Good day, sir or madam:

My name is Evan William Gretok, and I am a student of computer engineering technology at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. This digital portfolio is a collection of coursework for you to sample and peruse, primarily showcasing professional writing samples for various courses. My discipline requires highly refined skills in written and verbal communication, and I hope you will find my work from various courses in the past several years to be proof of my growing skill-set. From formal laboratory reports, to research papers, to design proposals, to thorough evaluations; the professional writing requirement for engineering is diverse and extensive.

I am deeply passionate about programming, electronics, and computer hardware. I have completed coursework in advanced mathematics, physics, and engineering principles, and programming. I have professional experience in information technology, user services, web application development, software testing, and databases. I am currently applying my knowledge and enthusiasm to data and information structures, digital electronics, advanced programming concepts, and embedded systems. I identify as a “maker,” and am deeply interested in the application of technology in solutions to everyday problems. I am detail-oriented, focusing not only on the solution, but on the presentation and refinement of that solution. I am an imaginative, hands-on forward thinker looking to continue learning and growing, wherever my career takes me.

I consider myself a student who is looking for not just a tested learning, but a knowledge and experience that is applied to reach a concrete goal and make a difference in people’s lives. I take my academic and professional pursuits very seriously, but I also acknowledge that my degree as well as any position I will serve in is not for me. I look not to boost my own prestige, but to contribute positively to a body of professionals who seek to do their best work for the sake of the customer, the public, and the world. I am committed to upholding the ethics, responsibilities, and integrity demanded by my field to the highest degree. I aim to act for the sake of others, using my experience and abilities to better my community and the lives of the people in it.

If you have any questions about myself or the material listed here, please do not hesitate to contact me using the information in my resume. Thank you for your time and consideration. Have a remarkably pleasant day.

Evan William Gretok

Student of Computer Engineering Technology

University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Orwellian Concision and Memes

If someone asked me a month ago if I would consider George Orwell a revolutionary of diction, I would not have known how to respond.  The only knowledge I had of him was regarding works like Animal Farm and 1984.  His piece on “Politics and the English Language,” however, has greatly altered my perception of quality writing.  Though originating in 1946, its truths may be more relevant today than ever.  His words fit well with my reflection a few posts ago on keeping academic and technical forms of writing accessible.

In my field of study, there are several conflicts with Orwell’s rules against linguistic obscurity.  The biggest issue is the use of active voice.  As we discussed in class, engineering is one of many disciplines where active voice is to be avoided.  This keeps the first person, or any person, out of a scientific undertaking.  It is also difficult to avoid jargon in such a complex and technical discipline.  This could be remedied by spending more initial time explaining such concepts.  Ultimately, engineering values a forthright communication of accurate information without pretentious diction or meaningless fluff, a desire for clarity and concision shared with Mr. Orwell.

Use of language in this manner is often an attempt to sound more intelligent.  This could fit with more academic and scholarly writings; however, this course of action typically has the opposite effect.  By George’s admission, less can be much more.  The greatest communicators understand that what detracts from reader understanding can be detrimental to writing itself.  In an effort to incorporate lavish dialect, the true meaning of a piece can be lost in translation.

In application of Mr. Orwell’s ideas, I have created the following meme.  It reflects a passage of text from a scholarly article that I reviewed in research for our action plan assignment.  The quote: “While the use of this 50% value may not be exact for every other city and for the specific time of consideration (August 15), it has been used in this study as a baseline value which may in fact be conservative for a summer day and not an annual average value,” is a bit overwhelming.  This project involves researching the potential for energy conservation by liquid cooling servers.  This line is critical as it deals with their decision of a baseline temperature, the basis of validity for their entire experiment.  Unfortunately, this line appears to second-guess the decision made and does not necessarily reinforce the validity of its criteria.  This creates doubt in that validity for the reader, which is damaging to their case.  It may have been better to admit postulation, if that is indeed what it was, and discuss how the value was determined.  This line leaves ambiguity and adds little to the discussion.





Citation of Quote: Iyengar, M., et al. “Extreme Energy Efficiency Using W
ater Cooled Servers inside a Chiller-Less Data Center.”  Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (ITherm), 2012 13th IEEE Intersociety Conference. May 30 2012 - June 1 2012. Print. DOI: 10.1109/ITHERM.2012.6231424